Blogs have been around for a number of years now, and they don’t look like they are going anywhere. There is nothing looming on the horizon ready to take their place. That’s a good thing, and there are some reasons that your business website could use a blog. Adding a blog to your business site accomplishes some crucial things you’ll need to find success.
Using WordPress.org content management system (CMS), blogging system, enables you to add a blog in a subdirectory of your site quickly and smartly. Name your blog subdirectory either /blog or /news in most cases.
The WordPress (WP) system is unparalleled in the blogging world. The best of the best are using it and you can too. The cool thing is – it’s free for anyone to use.
These are reasons you should add a blog to your business website today.
Here are some reasons to add a blog to your business website:
1. Blogs are ever changing. They are dynamic. By adding content often and maybe regularly according to some schedule you can keep your audience up to speed with what’s going on in your business.
2. Google loves new content, especially a site that continually creates new content.
3. Blogs let Google, Yahoo, and other websites and readers know you’ve updated them using RSS. A regular website doesn’t do anything proactively… they just wait for a search engine or surfer to come by and see that the content changed. RSS brings the new articles or other changes to the search engines and viewers.
4. Blogs are much easier to start than is a regular website someone needs to create from scratch. The WordPress CMS makes managing your blog site super simple and you’ll appreciate the finite control – and the empowerment you suddenly have because with blogs you can make changes yourself. An experienced person can setup a WP blog in about 10 minutes. Customized, it might take 1 day, but probably less.
5. Free. WP blogs are free to install on your web server and they are updated constantly. Themes you can use to change the entire look of your site – are free, or paid for premium themes – up to you. Even a premium theme isn’t priced out of the reach of most people, at $70 per theme on average.
6. Blogs increase interaction between you and surfers at your site. Commenting, polls, voting on posts or other content, suggesting links… all of these increase your connection with people that before blogs would have never interacted with you at all. You need interaction to build trust and fondness for you and your company.
7. Free Plugins. These add functionality to the WordPress CMS and help you do more ‘stuff’. Plugins are created by individual developers that ask for donations and also sometimes get links back to their sites from your site.
8. CSS – Cascading Style Sheets save heaps of time. WP is built so you can change one line of code to affect your entire blog layout. For instance – if you wanted to bold all the hyperlinks in your blog – that would be an easy CSS change to one line of code. Change colors, font type, size of fonts, background colors, column widths, image borders, and many more variables from the CSS!
9. Backups. There are backup plugins that allow you to setup backups – daily, weekly, or other time length on a regular schedule. We have our blog backups daily and sent to an email address where they are archived. When you have over 40 blogs this feature alone makes blogs worth it.
10. SEO – Search Engine Optimization is much easier. There are many plugins that can set your blog up for you, and after configured will format your site for being found more easily in Google.
Though blogs have been around for a long time, they aren’t going anywhere. Now they are easier than ever to setup and use. If you are technically illiterate try the Thesis theme for WP, it’s made for people that need it ultra simple. It provides an easy way for you to customize the look and feel of your blog and there is little in the way of pre-knowledge needed.
by Vern L